The Gang discusses several developments this week in search, gadgets, and a mention of the passing of Goober Pyle (brother of Gomer), a character of the Andy Griffith Show back in the Sixties, played by George Lindsey who passed away this week. For anyone old enough to have seen the original show — or have enjoyed it in reruns over the years on TV Land — the show was a cultural icon and Goober a lovable doofus.
What struck us after the show recording was how far the world has come with technology since that shows debut in 1960…in black & white. Rotary dial phones, cooking only on stoves (what, no microwave?), and a community isolated due to the slow movement of communications (huh? no internet?), we’ve come a long way.
Hosts: Steve Borsch, Tim Elliott and Phil Wilson as “Floyd the Barber” (Graeme Thickins is off this week).
Discussed during the show:
- Bing deepens Facebook integration, connecting searchers with friends and New Bing calls on Facebook and Twitter to beat Google’s Search Plus Your World and Head-To-Head: Bing’s Social Search Vs. Google’s Search Plus Your World
- Apple reportedly dropping Google Maps, launching new 3D mapping service in iOS 6 and Apple’s Coming Map App Will “Blow Your Head Off”
- Are Smart Phones Spreading Faster than Any Technology in Human History? and Samsung Galaxy S III and The Samsung Galaxy S III: The First Smartphone Designed Entirely By Lawyers and HTC One X & S and HTC EVO 4G LTE
- Pebble smart watch sells out and The Vergecast 030 (Pebble founder interview)
- Apple making a $799 Air in fear of ultrabooks? Nope
- Confirmed: European mobile data roaming costs to fall
- Bluetooth 4
- May 18-19: DrupalCamp Twin Cities
- May 21st: Predictive Analytics Forum, Medtronic’s Mounds View Campus
- May 22nd: Collaborative tech.2012
- May 24th: MSP WordPress User Group Meeting at 7pm, The Nerdery
- June 1-2: Duluth Android BarCamp, Duluth Convention Center
- June 5-8: eyeo Festival, Walker Art Center
- Weekly: TechMasters is a new Toastmasters chapter in Twin Cities for tech professionals
|Press to Play Podcast:
||Link to Podcast (mp3)|