Remember “Web 2.0?” When Tim O’Reilly coined the term in 1999 his intent was to describe the shift from desktop to web applications, data sharing and much more. Claimed to be overhyped, Web 2.0 still stuck as a term and was big enough to describe what needed understanding. Today the emphasis is on yet another all-encompassing term, “big data.” That term describes the deluge of data being spawned worldwide and the challenges faced (and opportunities to take advantage of) with trying to capture, curate, store, search, share, analyze, visualize, predict, glean (possibly hidden) meaning, and somehow make sense of it all.
Our guest on this podcast, data scientist Dan Atkins, co-founded and jointly runs Minneanalytics the #BigDataMN: Minnesota’s Field Guide to Analytics event and others as well as his own firm, Capsaicin, LLC.
As always, the Gang also catches up on the hottest stories this past week affecting us all in technology and Minnesota.
Discussed during the show…
- Best Buy Deathwatch
- Apple Earnings Reaction
- Homeland Security’s Napolitano invokes 9/11 to push for CISPA 2.0
- Anonymous Threatens Massive WikiLeaks-Style Exposure, Announced On Hacked Gov Site
- Aaron Swartz at Wikipedia
- The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center
- NSA warrantless surveillance controversy
- Warrantless searches in the United States
- Google’s ECPA report reveals the extent of the FBI’s warrantless email snooping
- Big Data
- Weekly: TechMasters – a Tech Toastmasters chapter
- Fri/Sun January 25-27: Global Game Jam at The Nerdery (map)
- Wednesday, February 20th: Google for Entrepreneurs Day @CoCo Minneapolis (sold out)
- Sat/Sun March 2-3rd: Midwest PHP Conference
- Sat/Sun March 9-10: Overnight Web Challenge
- Thursday, March 21st: Mobile March 2013
- Thursday, March 21st: TechFuse
- Saturday, April 6th: Minnebar 9-5pm, location TBD