Hosts: Steve Borsch, Tim Elliott and Graeme Thickins (Phil Wilson is off this week).
Music: I’m on Board by The Ride Theory. Brought to us by the podsafe Music Alley.
Image: Postcard scan by Don “The UpNorth Memories Guy” Harrison of this Ely MN Vintage Canoe Card. Used with permission under Creative Commons 2.0 license
Discussed During the Show
- Visiting, and about, Ely, Minnesota
Minnesota’s Top Stories
- U of MN
- Car2go goes metrowide with St. Paul startup
- Eden Prairie’s Amcom Software is Now ‘Spok’ – But Don’t Add an ‘e’!
- TruScribe and Weird Al Yankovic Take a Shot at Corporate America
Last Week’s Other Big Stories
- Apple Reports $7.7 Billion Profit on Strong iPhone Sales
- Forensic scientist identifies suspicious ‘back doors’ running on every iOS device
- Apple granted comprehensive ‘iTime’ smartwatch patent with in-strap circuitry, arm gesture support
- Josh Topolsky of The Verge Is Joining Bloomberg
- How Hackers Hid a Money-Mining Botnet in Amazon’s Cloud
- A Call Answered: Unlocking America’s Cell Phones
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
Using Two-Step Verification (also called Multi-Factor Authentication) for sites such as Gmail, Apple iCloud, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, PayPal, Microsoft accounts, Yahoo Mail, LinkedIn, WordPress, and others, can make you much more secure than using a password alone.
The Gang’s “One Cool Thing of the Week”
- Tim: Overcast, a new podcast app for iOS
- Graeme: Square app with new offline mode
- Steve: Nextiva, a hosted phone system in the cloud. (Why I made the change: Open Letter to Vlad Shmunis, CEO, RingCentral)
- INVESTyR’s Fundraising in the Digital Economy, 1st Tue of each month 3:30-4:30pm
- MinneDemo 17, July 31st
- Bitcoin Bash, August 4th, 6pm at CoCo Minneapolis (Grain Exchange)
- Mobile Twin Cities – Everything iOS8, August 11th, CoCo Downtown Minneapolis
- Minnesota Cup Life Science/ Health IT Division Finalists Reception – August 12th
- MinneDemo 18, September 11th
- MHTA Tekne Awards Finalist Announcements, Wed Sept 17th
- Cyber Security Summit 2014, Oct 21st