Amazon touted the great deals available during Amazon Prime Day this past week and they had good sales but not everyone thought so. Just before the show Phil stuck this funny Buzzfeed article about Amazon’s Prime Day fail into this week’s show notes and we found ourselves laughing out loud at some of the tweets they compiled.
The first tweet posted in the article is why the title of today’s podcast, and is at the core of why so many people didn’t find the deals all that great during Prime Day (see the embedded tweet at the bottom of this post).
Past Week’s Biggest MN Stories
- MinneDemo Presenters
- ‘OK’ quarter for VC in Minnesota as investment surges nationally
- Code42 names tech vet Joe Payne next CEO
- Imation CEO Lucas is leaving the company
- Minneapolis’ new open data system still powering up
- St. Paul-based App Data Room offers global marketing muscle
- Log-ins made easier? Local company claims to nail it.
Other Top Tech Stories
- What’s Old Is New as Commodore, Kodak Brands Re-Emerge on Android Devices
- Apple’s Lack of Sales Data Raises Flags About Demand for Watch
- Neil Young is yanking his catalog from streaming services
- Microsoft Windows 10 and the new Office for the Mac
- Adobe Flash Update from last week’s Security Tip
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
Even though spam is “officially” down (Email Spam Rates Dip Below 50 Percent), many people I talk to seem to agree with my experience: Spam has exploded in the last year—especially quality spam that slips through spam filters—and this week’s tip is about creating, and using, email aliases to keep spammers at bay.
Cool Thing of the Week
- Phil: Kick ass images of Pluto and Tesla’s “Ludicrous Mode”
- Tim: 6th Gen iPod Touch
- Graeme: Sling Media Releases Free Versions of Its SlingPlayer TV Streaming Apps
- Steve: Linksys WRT AC1900 router
- JoomlaDayMN, July 18th, Mall of America
- Verizon’s IoT Developer Workshop, July 21st
- MinneDemo 20, July 23rd at The Depot, 6pm
- Prestige Conference, August 1-2, U of St. Thomas Mpls
- MinneAnalytics conference on “Financial and Retail Analytics,” Carlson School, August 12th
- Twin Cities Startup Week, Sept. 8-13
- Converted2015 (LeadPages conference), October 20-21
- “LeanIn2”: MinneAnalytics Healthcare & Life Sciences Conference, Oct 23rd
— lupe (@cherryyyybomb) July 15, 2015