The recently hacked website, Ashley Madison, was a horrific capture of user data and the posting of it online is perhaps one of the worst breaches of privacy ever. The fallout from its disclosure has only just begun: relationships and lives upended; trust betrayed; divorce proceedings started; and even extortion are already underway.
Also, who knows what will happen locally. Minnesota was #21 on the list of states most likely to cheat since there were so many users of that site who live in our State.
User data hacking and disclosure seems to be almost routine now, doesn’t it? Listen to this show’s Security Tip of the Week to implement one easy way to ensure you have significant protection against hacks when you use services like Dropbox, Gmail or Outlook.com, Skype, Apple and more.
Past Week’s Biggest MN Stories
- Graeme’s report on the SportNgin open house Thursday evening
- Minnesota Is Fastest-Growing State for Tech Jobs in 2015 (Forbes)
- Industrious, Assemble offer new co-working space for independent workers in Minneapolis
- Data center deals, openings on the rise
- A smart home with a voice: SmartThings adds support for Amazon Echo
Other Top Tech Stories
- Apple TV outsold by Amazon’s Fire TV in 2014, now the fourth most popular streaming device
- BuzzFeed Confirms $200M Investment From NBCUniversal
- TV Channel Guide from the Future
- To shake things Up, Apple may Add Cellular Voice Capabilities to the iPad via a new Wireless headset
- Verizon puts 50,000 Docker containers to work on a massive IoT cluster
- Developer reveals Mac security hole without telling Apple
- NSA preps quantum-resistant algorithms to head off crypto-apocalypse
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
- TIP: Use Two-Factor Authentication (also known as 2FA), especially when using email.
Cool Thing of the Week
- Phil: Credit Card Light Bulb
- Tim: RetroPie 3.0
- Graeme: More sensors on your wrist!
- Steve: Lunatik Epik
- Twin Cities Startup Week, Sept. 8-13
- Startup Weekend, Sept 11-13, Carlson School
- Minnedemo 21, Sept. 10, Riverview Theater
- SMBMSP #82: Social+Search = A Whole New Ballgame for SEO & SEM, Sept 11th
- Minnesota Venture Conference, October 1st, Mpls Conv Ctr
Camp COCO, North Shore/Lake Superior, October 9-11
- Converted2015 (LeadPages conference), October 20-21
- MinneAnalytics “HALIcon” (Healthcare Analytics Lean-In Conference 2), Optum Campus, Oct 23
- 2015 MIMA Summit
- MHTA Tekne Awards, Nov 18th