After discovering that three young men under the age of 25 had no idea who M.C. Hammer was (or what ‘hammertime’ was all about) we laughed a bit. Thinking about that more it is interesting how context and the past shape our culture and thinking about many things, including technology. “The Hammerettes” hope to bring that sort of contemplative, deeper thinking to our podcast.
Discussed During the Show
Minnesota’s Top Stories
- Twin Cities’ OMG Transit takes on Google Maps for public transit riders
- St. Thomas professors create a new way to keep track of course work
- Logic PD Partners with SeeControl to Accelerate Delivery of IoT Solutions
- Two local Kickstarters pay off, one spectacularly
- See the Nerdery’s nonprofit website makeover before-and-afters
Last Week’s Other Big Stories
- How the FCC Plans to Save the Internet By Destroying It: An Explainer
- iOS 7.1 code indicates Apple working on Siri for Apple TV
- Wait…what? North Dakota is #15 and Minnesota is #36?
- What Are The Nerdiest States In America?
- Take the nerd challenge below and see if maybe you are the reason we are losing!
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
- New Android app to protect against the Heartbleed bug
- CM Security Heartbleed Scanner offers Heartbleed protection for Android users
- Android apps vulnerable to Heartbleed have been downloaded 150 million times
- Android accounted for 97% of all mobile malware in 2013
- INVESTyR’s Fundraising in the Digital Economy 1st Tue of each month 3:30-4:30pm
- Technovation[MN] Appapalooza, April 27
- Startup Weekend – Education, May 2nd
- Invention Expo 2014, May 2-3
- Midwest Mobile Summit – May 5-6, Fargo, ND
- OmniChannel14: Recon on Today’s Retail Trends, May 5-6
- MHTA Spring Conference-Stanley Hubbard to Keynote, May 6th
- Social Media Breakfast #66, May 9
- Google in Education Minnesota Summit, May 10
Take the Nerd Challenge and Win!