Now that the Minnesota State Fair is over, the facts-and-stats are in on attendance and the volume of data consumed at the fair. Once again Julio Ojeda Zapata covers it well in his post, State Fairgoers eat up data, along with hot dogs and cheese curds (and yes, we would love to have Wifi on a stick!).
We were pleased and delighted to have Justin Grammens on as our guest to talk about the upcoming Internet of Things Hackday (IoTHackday), an event that is shaping up to be THE place to network about IoT, build fun stuff, show what you can do, and learn.
Listen to Justin describe the event, what will happen, how you can get involved, and more.
Hosts: Steve Borsch, Tim Elliott and Phil Wilson (Graeme Thickins is off this week).
Music: Don’t Know Why by The Naxalites. Brought to us by the podsafe Music Alley.
Photo credits: Center Wifi hotspot by Julio Ojeda Zapata from this article; left, top-bottom by WCCO; top-right by Better Recipes; bottom-right by Baking Junkie.
Discussed During the Show
Minnesota’s Top Stories
- State Fairgoers eat up data, along with hot dogs and cheese curds
- Kidizen to anchor North Loop co-working space, raises more cash
- Target picks sites for Bay Area mini stores
Minnov8 Guest: Justin Grammens
- Entrepreneur Justin Grammens is our guest to talk about IoT Hackday (IoT Hackday is also on Facebook; Twitter; Arduino MN Google Group)
Last Week’s Other Top Stories
- Most of the US has no broadband competition at 25Mbps, FCC chair says
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
- DON’T GET HACKED! Use Two-Step Verification with your Apple ID:
Gang’s “One Cool Thing of the Week”
- Phil: Moto 360 on sale…SOLD OUT!
- Tim: 2nd Gen Moto X
- Graeme: (off this week)
- Steve: OS X Yosemite
- Ongoing Events
- INVESTyR’s Fundraising in the Digital Economy, 1st Tuesday of each month 3:30-4:30pm
- Twin Cities Startup Week and Startup Weekend Sept. 9-14 (multiple events)
- “Gigabit Highway” conference, Minneapolis Sept. 2-4
- Mobile Twin Cities: Smartwatches: Past, Present and Future Sept. 8th
- Beta.mn 1.5, Sept 9th, 6:00-9:00 pm, Worrell Design
- Tech Cocktail’s Twin Cities Mixer & Startup Showcase Sep 10th
- MinneDemo 18, September 11th
- SMBMSP #70 – Social Media Trends, with featured speakers from…@Minnov8! Sept 12th, 8:00-10:00 am (tickets to be released next week)
- Fundraising and Intellectual Property Considerations, a free event for startups at TreeHouse Health, Sept. 16th
- MHTA Tekne Awards Finalist Announcements, Wed Sept 17th
- MinneAnalytics “Marketing Analytics” Conference (#MAMAmn), Sept. 30th, 8:00am-5:00pm+beer (Eventbrite link coming soon @MInneAnalytics and their website)
- Google Cloud Platform Live, Nov 4th
- Mobile March Twin Cities (Mar 2015 date TBD)
- Twin Cities TechPulse 2015 – Apr 21, 2015