We all know design matters. The greatest software is pretty much useless if the human interface is confusing and inefficient. Same thing with hardware. But with the advent of indie capital raising sites like Kickstarter, it’s easier then ever to have a great idea, design it so it’s highly desirable, and then get the project funded. That’s exactly what our guest this week, Tom Gerhardt (his site; his studio) and did with his pal, Dan Provost (Twitter; TheVerge article). Take a peek at this post on BoingBoing about their adventure together.
Read Graeme Thickins’ post here about Tom and Dan speaking on “Indie Capitalism & Design Entrepreneurship” for the Minneapolis College of Art & Design (MCAD) “Visiting Artist Lecture” series.
Discussed during the show…
- PreciouStatus wins the 2012 Minnesota Cup Grand Prize. See all 2012 Division Winners, Runnerups & Honorable Mentions here
- Kindle Fire
- Nokia’s new Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 with Windows Phone 8: the full story
- Motorola sharpens its RAZR: Motorola’s RAZR reboot: three new phones, new Google integration
- Bring Me The News – Rick Kupchella’s aggregation adventure
- Meet Apple’s Favorite Blogger
- Scott Olson, serial entrepreneur (Rollerblade, Rowbike, Skyride)
- DEMOfall conference, Oct 1-3, Santa Clara (where Ray Kurzweil will launch his new book on stage)
- TechMasters - a new Toastmasters chapter in Twin Cities, dedicated to helping technology professionals improve their skills
- Thursday, Sept 13th: Minnesota Developer’s Conference
- Saturday, Sept 22nd: Minnesota Bloggers Conference at Allina Health HQ in Minneapolis
- Thursday, Sept 27th: WordPress MSP, September 27th, 7pm, The Nerdery, Bloomington
- Friday, Sept 28th: MNSearch Presents: Local University
- Friday, Sept 28th: Technology Breakthroughs that will Drive Social Innovation UofMN Humphrey School
- Wednesday, October 10th: MIMA Summit Hilton Hotel, Minneapolis
- Thursday, October 11th: The Collaborative’s 26th Annual “Minnesota Venture & Finance Conference”
- Fri/Sat, Oct 19-20: She’s Geeky Twin Cities, Science Museum of MN, Register here.