Dinosaurs being resurrected by pulling DNA from a mosquito fossilized in amber for the Jurassic Park movies has been ruled out by scientists. Even so, we chuckled when Phil immediately went there as we discussed a new WordPress and Drupal plugin from Harvard’s Berkman Center called Amber.
Learn more about Amber, and what’s going on with other top tech stories from Minnesota and globally this past week, in this episode.
Past Week’s Top Minnesota Stories
- At Buzzfeed, a week off to do something different
- Average Twin Cities tech salary cracks six figures for first time: survey
- Credit card skimming is an emerging threat in Minnesota
- Minnesota ED Taps Partner To Enhance STEM Ed
Other Top Tech Stories
- Facebook Bans Gun Sales
- Harvard’s Berkman Center releases Amber: A Tool For Blogs & Websites To Keep Linked Content Accessible
- Everything We Know About Tesla’s Secret Model 3…And Model Y
- Apple News
- Apple will unveil a new 4-inch iPhone in March
- Apple likely to debut iPad Air 3 at March event; new Apple Watch models revealed
- Apple TV And Apple Watch (Probably) Had A Big Quarter
- Apple: iPhone Is Not Dead, It’s About To Come Alive
- Why the Internet of Things needs another 10 years
- Disclaimer: both Steve and Phil are SmartThings users.
- Negative Amazon review and comments
- SmartThings Community, General Discussion thread, numerous unhappy customers
Steve’s Security Tip of the Week
TIP: SECURE YOUR BABY MONITOR! Just-plug-‘em-in baby monitors are one super-simple way that hackers can watch your baby—or eavesdrop on you in your home—with video and audio. Most people just buy them (and webcams too) and plugin them in. No password…or a weak one.
There are people that go online and search for, and are finding, those weak password baby monitors and webcams. It’s one thing to have a creep spying on you. It’s quite another that many of these scumbags are breaking in and some are taunting, scaring and basically terrorizing toddlers and kids. There’s a term for them now too: griefers (taken from online video game harassers). Here’s one example story and here’s another one from a local TV news station.
Stay safe….here’s how.
Cool Thing of the Week
- The Complete List of 250+ Tech, IT, and DevOps Conferences in 2016
- Mobile Twin Cities-Overcoming the Gender Gap in Mobile Tech w/Nancy Lyons. February 2
- DevFest February 6, St. Thomas
- MinneDemo 22, Thursday, February 18th, Depot, Minneapolis 6pm. Tickets TBD)
- IoT Fuse, April 22, Univ of St. Thomas-Minneapolis
- MinneWebCon U of MN McNamara Alumni Ctr April 25-26